The United Presbyterian Church
This is a copy of a postcard from the early 1900’s
This historic landmark, The United Presbyterian Church, began construction in 1897 at 701 Macon Avenue then completed and dedicated on January 28, 1902 with 1,600 people in attendance. The third of three Presbyterian churches built in Cañon City, the cost of the church, lot, and pipe organ was $52,800.00. Designed by architect C.C. Rittenhouse, the structure is considered to be a fine example of the Richardsonian Romanesque architecture constructed of locally quarried, coarse buff and reddish rough-cut stone, with a Queen Anne style steeple/bell tower. The church was built by Ward Construction and German stone cutters Korvel and Sell. (A photo and the names of the dignitaries responsible for the project and its funding is on display). The steeple is capped by a classical entablature topped with a detailed spire and eight spires located around the base of the cap. Dimensions are 81 feet x 132 feet, height of spire 105 feet. Over its 150 year history, this massive stone church with its prominent tower has served as an architectural landmark for the community. In 1974, the east side of the church was altered to add a two story $42,974.00 addition with a large kitchen on the main level and a choir and music room above. The old kitchen was remodeled to become the library. A quaint Memorial Chapel was added in 1987. The United Presbyterian Church (at that time named The First Presbyterian Church) was placed on the National Historic Register on September 1, 1983 (#83001319) by the Colorado Historical Society and the U.S. Department of the Interior.
The steeple was last repaired and repainted in August 1976. The Historic Church Conservancy of Fremont County (HCC) is currently working on a similar repair and restoration project of the entire roof and steeple.